Saturday, March 9, 2013

ANNAPOLIS FILM FESTIVAL


About two years ago I was approached to be a part of a new project that sought to create a film festival in my hometown of Annapolis, Maryland.  As someone who has loved travelling to film festivals for years, I was honored and excited about the experience.  My writing and participation in local film had gotten the attention of several influential filmmakers in Annapolis and before-long I was named as the Programming Director of the event that would come to be known as the Annapolis Film Festival.

I had no idea just how much hard work would go into creating this one-of-a-kind festival.  I quickly assembled a team, who I cannot thank enough (Juliet Burch, my co-chair, in particular), and we got to work on selecting the films that would appear in the festival.  Along the way I came up with the idea and implemented a Short Film Crawl, cataloged and observed over five-hundred films, trafficked ninety-seven film prints, arranged for over fifty filmmakers to come to Annapolis, and an innumerable number of other tasks.

I cannot begin to calculate all the time and effort that has been made to bring the first annual Annapolis Film Festival to life.  It has caused the consistency of this site to dip just a bit, but I hope that it will have been worth it in the end.  Creating a cultural event like the Annapolis Film Festival won't just bring the film festival experience to my hometown but hopefully also become a permanent fixture in the business life of the city.

Over the next two weeks that lead up to the festival I will be presenting write-ups on a great many of the films that will be screening at the festival, particularly my favorite ones.  Hopefully this can serve as a guide to the many of you who will be attending the event and entice those of you who don't know if they will be attending just yet.

So keep your eyes on this site over the next few days and don't forget to get your tickets to the event, which you can get by clicking on the image below:


Prices are incredibly fair, with a reduced festival price of only $40 for four days of entertainment for anyone under 25.  I look forward to seeing everyone there for one of the best celebrations of film you will ever find!

I'll also mention that I was featured in an article on the event in The Voice which you can see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment